array functions (length, sort, push, pop, shuffle)

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Klaus

Re: array functions (length, sort, push, pop, shuffle)

Post by Klaus » Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Lol, reminds me of the very first english joke I have read and understood :-D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bird-breeder is showing of his hybrids to visitors.

This is a cross between a chicken and a turkey, we call it a churkey.
And this is a cross between a chicken and a goose, we call that a choose.
And this is my masterpiece, a cross between a pheasant ad a duck!

How do you call that?

Erm, Harold.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-)

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Heh, that was a good one!

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat May 09, 2020 10:08 pm

we're all ducks here...
Ducks? I feel like I should know this reference.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 pm

So there's this fella with a parrot. And this parrot swears like a sailor, I mean he's a pistol. He can swear for five minutes straight without repeating himself. Trouble is, the guy who owns him is a quiet, conservative type, and this bird's foul mouth is driving him crazy.

One day, it gets to be too much, so the guy grabs the bird by the throat, shakes him really hard, and yells, "QUIT IT!" But this just makes the bird mad and he swears more than ever.

Then the guy gets mad and says, "OK for you." and locks the bird in a kitchen cabinet. This really aggravates the bird and he claws and scratches, and when the guy finally lets him out, the bird cuts loose with a stream of vulgarities that would make a veteran sailor blush. At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly gets _very_ quiet.

At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so worried that he opens up the freezer door. The bird calmly climbs onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now on."

The man is astounded. He can't understand the transformation that has come over the parrot. Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the chicken do?"
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat May 09, 2020 10:27 pm

Bwahahaaha

kdjanz

Post by kdjanz » Sun May 10, 2020 2:58 am

All joking aside, that post on shuffling appeared last night EXACTLY when I needed it. I had a solution with nested loops and randomized lists, and this works soooo much better. It’s something that I never would have discovered in a million years.

So I’m very grateful and thankful that old threads with treasures DO surface from time to time!

Thanks to everyone who contributes here.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”