Unable to make a standalone with Rev 2.9

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:32 pm

I am unable to make a standalone for my project with Rev 2.9. I cannot even make a one button "Hello World" with Rev! I tried removing Plugins but got the same result.

I also reinstalled Rev 2.9 three times. I am using 10.5.3.
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:48 pm

What happens when you are trying to build it? Do you get any error message?

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Yes, I get a long error message dialog. It is to long to type out but I have a screenshot of the dialog message.
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:16 pm

well, without knowing something of what the error says, it is a bit hard to know how to help you. Are you unable to summarize the message and quote the relevant parts? I don't see anyway how you can attach an image to this forum post. If you like you can try to email it to me at bdrunrev_AT_gmail.com (making the relevant substitution for _AT_)

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Robin,

Here is the error message:

There was an error while saving the standalone application
241,552,1,reCopyScriptLibraries
353,0,0,stack "revSaveAsStandalone" of stack "/Applications/Revolution Studio/2.9.0-gm-1 /toolset/revstandalonesettings.rev"
241,371,1revCreateStandalone
353,0,0,stack "revSaveAsStandalone" of stack "/Applications/Revolution Studio/2.9.0-gm-1/Toolset/revstandalonesettings.rev"
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Charles, is this the error message you get from your simple 'hello world' application? If this is so, then I would suggest you contact support@runrev.com. Since you've re-installed multiple times, it looks like something is majorly wrong with Rev.

It is very difficult to know what is wrong with a cryptic error like that. The only time I've seen errors like that is when I've been doing some rather unusual stuff.

It's pretty appalling that Rev propagates up such useless error messages. I had to buy a 3rd party product myself whenever I've been trying to find out more from such useless error messages. The product I used is called "errorLib" and you can find it here: http://economy-x-talk.com/developers.html .

Hopefully runrev support will help you. If the situation is as you have described, then I would expect free support from runrev.com.

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Robin,

This is the message I get when I try to make standalones from my projects. I was able to make a standalone from Hello World.

I could not purchase erroLib because United States is not listed for PayPal!
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Ok, well, if you can make a standalone from 'hello world', then it is not the Rev installation that is broken. It is something in your larger project that is causing this. Again, I think it is a failing in Revolution that it allows such a cryptic error message to appear. Do you have a field called 'message field' in your project? I tried re-typing your error into my copy of errorLib, and the only thing that I could see that might be relevant was referring to 'message field' (it's entirely possible that 'message field' is an internal control, but I don't think so).

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 pm

I just purchased errorLib. I have not download it yet.

Regarding my project, I used Application Browser and did not find a field called "message"
Charles

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

I tried the errorLib but it did not provide any additional information. The error message is still pretty cryptic!
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Sorry to hear that it is not making things any clearer. Is the error message still the same? You're not using any variables, or controls beginning with "rev" are you? That might cause problems.

If the error message is in any way different, can you try capturing it and pasting it or emailing it to me.

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Robin,

No differences in error message. And, no I don't have any variables or anything for that matter with a Rev prefix.

One thing - I can make standalones for older projects or previous projects but not ones that are made from scratch with Rev 2.9!
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 pm

I'm confused. You can build standalones from non-trivial stacks made with versions of Rev pre-2.9, right?

You can build a standalone from a trivial 'hello world' stack made anew from Rev 2.9, right?

But if you build a more complex stack in 2.9, then you get these errors when building the standalone? This would suggest that it is something in your non-trivial Rev 2.9 stack. It sounds to me like you are going to have to start removing elements from this non-trivial stack and seeing where the problem occurs. I'd try removing any sub-stacks first, and then build standalones from each sub-stack.

As luck would have it, I've been using Rev on OS X for the past 3 years or so. But in the last few months I've only been using Rev 2.9 on Windows. Still, if this was a common problem, I'm sure it would have been flagged here or on the mailing list by now. That would tend to indicate it's something in your stack, possibly some of the image resources or externals?

cszasz61

Post by cszasz61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:36 pm

robin,

I am able to built standalones for a simple "Hello World" stack using 2.9 and I can build standalones for pre Rev 2.9 stacks. I a number of stacks downloaded from Rev sites which I have been able to make standalones.

The two stacks I am working on now are simple in nature and do not have any substacks or use any libraries. The particular stack in question does not have a splash screen or menus. Yet, I cannot make a standalone for it. I even stripped a skin that I made from Interface Designer from it thinking that might be causing the problem but it did not help. If you want to examine the stack, please send an e-mail to me at

cszasz@mac.com

I will be happy to send it to you for your examination. It is about 70 KBs
Charles

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:17 am

My address is a few messages back - when I get it I'll try and build the standalone and see what happens. BTW, my name's not Robin (I see how that can happen since the Topic Notifications are sent in that name)

Return to “Mac OS”