Changing Stack Icon in Windows XP & Vista

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ttbo

Changing Stack Icon in Windows XP & Vista

Post by ttbo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:57 pm

I want to change the icon in a Windows XP Revolution stack (not a standalone). It's so simple with Macintosh but Windows XP doesn't seem to allow icon changes except for .exe and .dll files. I have an .ico graphic ready to be put into the stack but I haven't found a way to do it. I also don't know if Vista has a whole different way of dealing with icons compared to XP. Thanks in advance!

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:11 am

On XP, file icons come from the so called "file association". When you right click a file, you can look at what application is currently the one that will open the file. That's the application which will tell windows what icon to use. The icon itself is embedded within the program itself, and you can specify an ico in the application builder for files (on the windows tab). The associations are registry entries, and kinda hard to set programmatically, so I've never done it.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

ttbo

Changing Windows Icons

Post by ttbo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi BvG, Thanks for your reply. So this probably means as long as I use the Revolution player to open my stacks, I can't change the icon. If I create my own player though, I can tell it to use a custom icon. On a Macintosh it's so simple to change the icon of a stack. I just want to change the default icon of a Revolution stack so that the stacks which I create have my own icon.

Return to “Windows”