Stand-alone app to web/cloud stored data native app

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Not a lot of thought

Stand-alone app to web/cloud stored data native app

Post by Not a lot of thought » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:49 am

So I'm about 40% complete with a project as a standalone version, which will be my initial pilot for beta testing. The pilot has a database feature that stores the information on the machine on which it is running. Eventually I need this application to store its data on an online server farm. Can I just essentially switch the database location in order to do this or do I need to build an entirely new application? Please bear in mind that the application will be a commercially used enterprise application with 10-100s of thousands of users.

Klaus

Re: Stand-alone app to web/cloud stored data native app

Post by Klaus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi man wioth the silly name,

well, if you hardcoded the path/address of the database (revopendatabase...) in your script(s),
then you may need to create a new standalone.

Hope I understood your problem correctly!

Best

Klaus

Not a lot of thought

Post by Not a lot of thought » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:35 pm

It was really late when I was creating my profile and it fit the moment well. :P You actually end up on a LOT of my posts as the main answerer. Thank you for all the help, btw. It is definitely appreciated.

So just to be clear, essentially the only difference between a standalone native application with backend database functionalities and a native enterprise application with backend cloud-based/outside server based functionalities is the address of the database and type of database use? (I.E. machine based SQLITE vs Cloud based MySQL Server).
Also, you bring up an interesting idea. This is probably an off-topic question, but how would you go about dynamically coding the online server location? And why? Just curious.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 pm

If the database is being used on a LAN then connecting directly to it should be fine. If exposed to the Internet most would use a web server as an intermediary to protect the database, most commonly with PHP or LiveCode Server.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi "Not a lot of thought",
Not a lot of thought wrote:It was really late when I was creating my profile and it fit the moment well. :P
Okie Dokie! :D
Not a lot of thought wrote:So just to be clear, essentially the only difference between a standalone native application with backend database functionalities and a native enterprise application with backend cloud-based/outside server based functionalities is the address of the database and type of database use? (I.E. machine based SQLITE vs Cloud based MySQL Server).
In short: yes.
Not a lot of thought wrote:This is probably an off-topic question, but how would you go about dynamically coding the online server location?
I would simply use a small (encrypted) text file on a server with teh actual URL and load that when your app starts.
This way you can have "dynamic" server urls.
Not a lot of thought wrote:And why?
WHY?
Come on, that was YOUR idea! :D

Best

Klaus

Return to “Internet”